The Cameron is a historic building which was originally built in 3 phases between 1909-1911. Rehab began with a building that was empty and unoccupied for 10-15 years previously.
- Completed in 2016
- 34,847 square feet
- 45 units (studios, 1 bed, & 2 bed apartments), workout room, interior bike storage space and community room
- Due to historic nature, limited green amenities were included:
- Green Communities consisted of mostly appliances as they could not modify the structure in any way
- Building is on National Historic Register (https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/14000390.htm) and was funded by HUD, therefore both groups needed to approve any changes prior to proceeding
- A lot of tuckpointing was required on the exterior, however care was taken to not destroy the old signage painted on the exterior.
- Old fire doors were modified to remain in the space as artwork, and the old scale was also modified to become a new table in the front lobby.
- The rear emergency exit stairway was designed in a way to be self supported so as to not attach to the building, however also had to be modified to not interfere with the original Bassett Creek tunnel that runs under a corner of the site.